13262538

Hi, Im being named as a co respondent in my partners divorce,

Customer Question

Hi, Im being named as a co respondent in my partners divorce, and I was wondering if I have to sign any papers or are they just issued to me to keep as a record. If I do have to sign any papers, and I don't, will the divorce go ahead anyway..
May I ask why your partner has agreed to a divorce on this ground?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, Thanks for your reply. I will do my best to fill you in. My partner left his wife 4 years ago to live with me. Neither of them talked about getting the divorce papers until recently. His ex has always said shes struggling for money, although he left her the house, and he only walked away with the caravan, so he delayed things. He agreed, when they did do the divorce, that he would pay the court fees. He delayed the divorce so long that now shes got the papers, and has put adultery as the reason. He was going to put 2 years separation. She is so adamant that she wants to name and shame me, and to make her feel better. Ive told him to see the papers and to change the reason, but she wont let him now. Shes hounding him for payment, and he feels he has no choice but to pay. Obviously I will get some copies of the papers, as she is naming me as co respondent. Do I have to sign anything, as agreement, or will it all go ahead whether I do or not. I just, personally think, that this is going to get messy.

Thanks Sue

Is there any evidence that the forms have already been sent to the court?
What has she asked him to pay her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's only her say so as to whether the papers have already been sent off. Hes sent her £410 for court costs.
Sue
I appreciate that your partner wishes to have a divorce - but there is no need for him to allow his ex to take this approach.
After they have lived apart for five years he can issue a petition that his ex would not be able to defend.
If you are named then you will have to sign the paperwork to acknowledge safe receipt - but do NOT admit the adultery - only your partner needs to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that Clare. Just one question, If my partners ex gets my name wrong on the papers, for example if she doesn't put my middle name, can I refuse to sign it.

Sue

Whether the name is ***** ***** wrong you do not have to sign it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare. If I don't sign the acknowledgement of safe receipt will that stop the divorce procedure, or will it go ahead anyway.
Sue
It may delay it - but provided your partner signs his it can still go ahead