Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

I am thinking of my partner moving into my home with my children.

I am thinking of my partner moving into my home with my children. Is there any legal way I can safeguard my finances and equity in the house I own?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for yourquestion.
Are you please able to confirm that this is your unmarried partner?
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
The key factor with this situation is that you remain unmarried to him if you marry him then it changes the situation and makes the position of your house and assets more uncertain.
If you remain unmarried to him then situations is a bit clearer in that he would only be able to claim against your property if you had children with him OR made capital payments to the mortgage, OR paid more in rent and other expenses then he would have paid if he was living in his own private rented accommodation OR carried out and spent money making material and substantial improvements to the property which increased its market value.
Provided he does not do any of these things and you do not transfer any assets to him then he will basically not be advised to make a claim.
You are fine to let him contribute an amount which represents the amount that he would have paid private rented accomodation those
Kind regards.
Tom