How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34132
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi,I am having problems with my ex-girlfriend. We have

Customer Question

Hi,I am having problems with my ex-girlfriend. We have a son together who is now 18 months, although we were separated before she gave birth. My name is ***** ***** the birth certificate, although I pay £250 a month for child maintenance and we did a DNA test which proved parentage. The payments have not been run through the CSA, it is a local agreement. I have been trying to get access to him and she will not allow it, she is very temperamental and any time we try to have a discussion about our son, she flips it back to our relationship and cannot seem to separate the two. I am missing out on some of the most important time of his life. I also have another son in Portugal who I also support financially and pay £200 a month for, and I see him on a regular basis when I go back home, and have no issues with access.I am desperate to gain access to my son, and would like one day every fortnight. How can I make this happen? I also want to put my name on his birth certificate so I can gain parental rights, but she wont allow this, is there anything I can do?Thank you in advance for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, happy to wait a bit longer. Thanks!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much do you earn gross per annum and how often have you seen the child to date?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare, I earn £54k and to date I have only seen him twice for a short while this year and she has always been there. I saw him a bit more when he was first born before everything completely broke down, but that was the first couple of months.
Many Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this of necessary.
You should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation (
If that fails then you will need to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out the contact that you have with the child
Details here
At the same time you can invite your ex to sign a Parental Responsibility Agreement giving you PR for teh child - again if she refuses you can ask the court to make an order.
However you do need to be aware that the maintenance you are currently paying is under the CMS (new CSA) assessment.
Details here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Related Family Law Questions