michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
12609314

I am coming from a court order a good few years ago that I

Customer Question

I am coming from a court order a good few years ago that I can see my son every fortnight but now i want more time and certain things to change like me picking him up from school, certain times she breaks the order, half holidays and just more in general, is there anything I can do to get this, is it a court thing or must I do something else. Basically something that says she must comply to a certain extent to allow me to see and have more influence in his life
Expert:  michael holly replied 2 years ago.
The first thing you must do is ask her in a way that you have a record of it, by letter or e mail. You need to set out why you think it is important and if your son has asked to see you more often, say so.
If she refuses then you can threaten to go back to court to vary the existing consent order. Hopefully the threat will be enough but if she still refuses then that is your only option.
I am afraid that having arrangements changed at the last minute and certain breaks of the order are common and come with the territory. The court would not take any steps unless the breaches are felt to be persistent and a deliberate campaign to flout the order.
I hope this helps. If there are any further points please come back to me.
Best wishes
Michael
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Experience: BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
HiIt is not unreasonable to want to make change sin a long standing Order to reflect changes in the needs of the child.Your starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)If that fails then you can apply to the court for a new Child Arrangement Order setting out what time your son spends with you.You cannot apply to the court until you have at least been to a Mediation Assessment and Information meeting.IClare