13262538

My wife, who has been suffering mental health issues for a

My wife, who has been suffering mental health issues for a number of years, left the family home on Jan 18th. I have since then looked after our three children and payed all the bills. The family home is also a small farm and I have, since that time, started renovating an old barn into accommodation. Does any settlement with my wife, who is now in a relationship with someone else, use the value of the property at the point she left or will it include the increased value now that I have returned a redundant building to use?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola, thanks for your response. Yes I would be happy to give you more time to find an expert. Many thanks for trying.

Steve

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delay
How old are the children and how long have you lived together?
How much is the property worth and how much has the value been increased by the work that you have done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, thank you for responding. The children are 10, 13 and 15. The property was valued at £320,000 - £350,000 in the beginning of Jan. I havnt finished the renovations yet but when done should be worth 450,000 ish. We lived together for 21 years.

How much did the renovations cost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The renovations, which are still going on, will cost a total of £90,000. It is 50% grant funded. The 50% we put up was gone before Juliet left. I am finishing it on the remaining grant money.

I am afraid that the final financial settlement will take into account the value of the assets as they are at the time of settlement - not the time of separation.
However the court will give you credit for the work that you have done - and that you had to do it without assistance from your ex and while you were also caring for the children.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years