James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Do Grandparents have any legal rights for access to Grandchildren

Customer Question

Do Grandparents have any legal rights for access to Grandchildren after the child's parents divorce?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
How old are the children and what has happened with regard to contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Grandparent in question has been giving us a lot hassel, we went to court last year to stop the child's Biological Mother from having direct contact to the child as the mother is a heavy Alcoholic and she has subjected the child to violence.
We won the court case, but the mother is only allowed to write once a month. We were allowed to keep our home address secret from the mother and Grandmother, as long as we gave a satisfactory alternative address for them to write to the child.
Every time the Grandparent saw the child, she would constantly ask the child he would like to see his mother and if he did, then she would take him. The Grandparent never accepted the courts decision and she has been hassling us ever since for our home address.
On Friday the 3rd October the Grandmother turned up on our doorstep, we asked her to leave but she constantly refused, we also asked how she abstained our address, she would only answer with "It's easy". The Grandmother told us that she has every right to come to our address. We are now worried that she will give our address to her daughter.
The child is 17 years old and has Learning Difficulties.
Did you call the police and ask them to make her leave?