13262538

My and my wife are currently going through a divorce and has

My and my wife are currently going through a divorce and has moved some 5 miles away and wants him to move schools too which I don't want him to has he has had enough change in his life since we split up. I have said no to this as there is not a valid reason on her side as to why only reason she says is "it suits her" no mention of what our son wants. We currently split the school runs her 3 days me 2 days. Can she change his school without my consent?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
How old is your child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

our child will be 8 years old in December.

Steve

Is there any problem with the present school?
Does your ex give any other reason at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The present school is very good he has been there from nursery and he gets good reports every year, he has lots of friends and the only reason that my ex partner wants to move him because in her words she doesn't want to go out of her way to take him to the school on her designated days anymore which for me isn't a valid reason.

Since you both have Parental Responsibility for the child you both need to agree on the school.
You should offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
Since there is no real reason - other than your ex's convenience - to change school and further disrupt the child then you can refuse to agree to the move.
If you believe that your ex will still go ahead then you can apply to the courts for a Prohibited Steps Order which will mean that the court will decide what should happen
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years