13262538

My ex remarried a few weeks ago. Following our divorce part

Customer Question

My ex remarried a few weeks ago. Following our divorce part of the Consent Order was "the husband do continue to pay or cause to be paid periodical payments to the wife at the rate of £600 per month payable monthly in advance for the benefit of the child of the family: Chelsea ..... until she ceases full time secondary education; whereupon it will reduce to £300 per month until Chelsea attains the age of 21 years."
My daughter turned 18 in May this year & ceased full time secondary education, when my payment to my ex reduced to £300, (I also voluntarily pay £300 direct into my daughter's bank account). She works part time now & earns £500 per month but still lives with her mother & new husband.
Can I stop the periodical payments to my ex because she has remarried and choose to pay my daughter directly into her account?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that under the terms of the Order you need to continue to pay your ex unless she agrees to your making future payments to your daughter.
her remarriage does not change this.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Clare

Just for clarity, this is child maintenance rather than spousal?

John

Yes I understood that - spouse maintenance would have ended on her remarriage in any event