13262538

This is regarding a threat. Me and partner recently split

Customer Question

This is regarding a threat.
Me and partner recently split up. We have two children together, 3 and 6 years old.
My partner has now moved on with a new male partner and she is slowly bringing him into their life.
I messaged this person to just state that if he is going to be part of my kids life, I would like to know
why I should trust him as if he hurts (he's known to be a bit of a womanizer) my ex-partner, this would
directly affect my children.
He returned a message with numerous personal attack against my parenting as a dad and that I should stop stalking him
and harassing my ex partner as I message her a lot. Just to clarify, his idea of stalking is me looking to see what
he has on his public social network profiles and the harassing the ex partner comes from me talking to the ex-partner a lot.
Considering she continues an open discusion with me, I don't think this can be applied.
The childish comments and personal attacks do not worry me so much but the following paragraph from him, does concern me:
"Just so you are aware though, harrassment, sexual assault, controlling behaviour, stalking, they are all crimes and all things that if
mentioned to my friends in Child Protection Services would see you lose access to your children once and for all."
He works for a large legal company. I don't belive he's a solicitor/lawyer directly but from what I do know, operates in the Family Law / Courts
side of things.
If a client came to you with the above threat, what would you suggest as an appropriate action.
Obviously if things did go to court, I'm aware the above would need to be told as there would be possible conflicts of interest in the Child Protection Services agencies.
I did mention to her what he said and she was a little taken back and agreed he should not have said that, although I'm not sure what's happening between
them now because of this.
In general, what's the best action?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The first thing to say is that you should not have contacted him at all.
There is no good or acceptable reason for you to have done so - and on that basis his response was never likely to be friendly.
The appropriate way forward now is to move on and make no further attempt to contact him.
So far as the threat is concerned it is an empty one and the way forward is to accept that you made a mistake in contacting him - and that you have told the only person who you shoudl have done - your ex, and move on
Please ask if you need further details