13262538

my partner moved out of the family home 4 years ago,i stayed

my partner moved out of the family home 4 years ago,i stayed while the children grow up,now i want to sell as the children are moving out,i never got a regular payment from my partner and have struggled to pay all the bills and keep my head above water,he says he wants at least half the equity as he put the deposit down when we purchased the house 14 years ago,how do we go about working out a percentage of fair equity as i would like about 70% to purchase another property,he rents a property with his girlfriend,he`s a self employed carpenter,any advice would be welcome.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage - and did he protect his investment with a Declaration of Trust?
How old are the children now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The children are 22 and 19,not had the house valued but one down the road sold for £220,000 so about the same, i`ll have to look at how much is left on the morgage but it was bought for £85,000 and there was nothing i signed so i`m assuming there was no declaration of trust.

How much was the deposit and how much was the mortgage payment over the last four years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was a 4,000 deposit and the monthly repayments are 350.00
I do need to check - I have assumed that you were not married to each other?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not married
Then I am afraid that unless your ex ever promised that you would receive a larger share of the equity you are only entitled to 50%.
The fact that you alone have paid the mortgage is not relevant since your ex has not been living there.
You can try and negotiate for a higher share using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
However if he is not willing to be generous I am afraid the costs of a court application would far outweigh any benefit
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details