13262538

After 22 years of no contact with his daughter but monthly

Customer Question

After 22 years of no contact with his daughter but monthly maintenance and plenty of court orders, my husband and I believe she has completed her first degree. We believe this finishes my husband's commitment to pay child maintenance. Are we correct.
My name is ***** *****
What is the exact wording of the Order when it comes to when the order ends - and do you have any idea what degree she did or where?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We dont konow what the degree is but believe it to be medicine. The two routes we believe are:-
1. 7 years ( join at yeR 1 or year 2 by invitation) which we do t believe happened therefore
2. Undertake a first degree in clinical sciences (Bradford uni) and on and then look on to further your education. This is the route we believe she is on.
My husband was denied the right to be told the course she took.
The Order states:-
Paymnt until completion of the medical degree course she is on. It also requires the mother to inform my husband by 30th september each year that the daughter is continuing her course. She has not done this so my husband stopped maintenance and she has written asking for the money. My husband has written and asked for an update. What do you think?
Have you checked the graduation lists for Bradford this year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not sure exactly what you mean. I have checked and am aware they took place in July but dont know where any names would be listed. Are there lists?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Claire
My husband has received a letter today from the daughter saying she has completed a Clinical Sciences Degree Honours 2:1. Have i finished paying maintenance? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ClAire
Are u looking at my questions or should i go to someone else?
The lists of graduates are indeed published!
However since you have the answer.
If the wording is as you say then the maintenance under the order has finished.
However do be aware that the daughter may make a claim for maintenance in her own right if she is indeed remaining in education.
The chances of success will depend on your partners income
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Claire
Thank you for your advice. The fact that the daughter has written a letter for the first time in 22 years (with an underlying threatening tone) now indicates to me her probable intention to ask for continued maintenance, whilst she undertakes voluntary work. And yet I have two grandaughters who are in loving relationshis with their parents who receive nothing.
It is indeed suspicious - although we can hope that in fact it is just that she has matured.
However the good news is that to have any chance of getting extended maintenance she will have to remain in full time education - voluntary work is something she will have to finance herself