13262538

as a grand parent do i have a right to see my grand children

Customer Question

as a grand parent do i have a right to see my grand children without supervision of our daughter in-law.
How old are the children and what is actually happening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

children are 4 years and another one is just over 7 months. my son and his girlfriend do not get on due to my son's angry behaviour so she has put an injunction on him not to visit her at her place but she has agreed in the family court for him to have supervised visit with the kids at a public place supervised by her mother for 6 weeks and if he kept it up with good behaviour than we could have the kids in our place for a day but unfortunately my son did not keep up with the court visitation so now he can not see the kids. because of our son she is not allowing us to have the kids in our place. so my question is this, do we the grand parent have the right to have our grandchildren in our place once a week without having supervision.

Have you been offered any contact at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we have contact with children at all time, but it has to be at their place only or take them out. but their mother do not let us have the kids by ourselves or at our place.

In fact grand parents have no automatic right to contact - they do not even have the automatic right to apply for contact - the court needs to give them permission to do so.
You should try and discuss matters with the mother using Family Mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
If that fails the you can make an application to the court - but there is no guarantee that you will be successful given the circumstances - although contact at a local contact centre (without mum) might be a possibility.
Please ask if you need further details