13262538

Me and my ex husband spilt up 9 years ago, we have 2 children

Me and my ex husband spilt up 9 years ago, we have 2 children together and he saw them for around a year after we split. Since then he's not bothered at all and has never paid any maintenance. Can I apply for sole custody or anything? He has a new wife and has children with her
How old are the children and why do you believe you need to do anything
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are 13 and 11, even tho he is absent he still has the same rights as me and I want that to change seeing as he hasn't been around for so long. The children don't want the same surname as him either as I have a partner and 2 children with him and my children who I had with my ex would like to be the same as their siblings
I am sorry but there is nothing that you can do to change the fact that he has Parental responsibility for the children.
Obviously if he disagreed with you on schooling or health issues his lack of involvement over the years makes it unlikely that his views would be preferred over yours so you have relatively little to worry about.
I am afraid that there is no chance of the children changing their names at present - but once they are 16 they can do so themselves if they so wish
I am sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't think there was anything I could do, just wanted to double check. It's just sad that someone can wash their hands of their children and get away with it. Thank you for your help though
You are most welcome - I am sorry not to give better news