13262538

my wife wishes a divorce but we have our 10 year old grandson

Customer Question

my wife wishes a divorce but we have our 10 year old grandson living with us under a joint SGO would we need to inform children's services and what happens to the child .
Who will the child live with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That hasn't been decided yet, probably me.

What involvement do the biological parents still have with the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

Some background info . The child in question is my step-daughters son, my wife and I were granted an SGO due to criminal activity, drug abuse, prison term of the mother etc. She has been evicted from several properties and now resides back with her Father, an abusive alcoholic with a criminal record. She sees her son on average once a week now that her boyfriend is back in Prison, prior to this contact was erratic.

The child rarely sees his Father I believe last contact was June. He has consistently expressed a desire to have no contact with him.

Please let me know if you need more information.

The child is a child of the family and will be treated within the Divorce proceedings just as a biological child would be.
You and your wife are expected to reach an agreement on the arrangements for the child and how he should share his time between you using family mediation if need be
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
Only if serious problems arise will Social Services have to be involved again.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details