13262538

Hi there. I will shortly be in the part of our divorce where

Hi there. I will shortly be in the part of our divorce where we start haggling over the financial settlement. I don't want the divorce and would like us to keep the family home as long as possible. If her offer is not good I could dispute it and hold out for more. Apart from the solicitors costs, realistically, how long could I hold out for and is there a time limit in which to respond to an offer ?
Why do you wish to hold onto the house - who currently lives there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to stay in the house because I have spent a lot of time and effort on it. It is now a lovely house in a great location. Currently we are all living together as we did before but Alice and I have separate rooms.
HI
How far has the divorce reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alice issued the petition at the end of August, so I would expect the decree nisi to be issued anytime now. We have agreed that we won't sell the house and move until next summer, when my son has finished his exams.

So what is it that you wish to know at this point?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, when we get towards the end, i.e. next spring, and the financial settlement ping-pong starts, is there any restriction on how quickly i have to respond to each proposal ? EG, If her proposals were unfair, could I wait 2 weeks to reply to each one and wait it out ?

You can certainly take your time - but you will need to make sure that she does not reach the point where she takes the matter to court because then you will be locked into a set timetable
Two weeks is a reasonable time to use
Please ask if you need further details