13262538

I have just separated from my 2nd husband after 4 years of

Customer Question

I have just separated from my 2nd husband after 4 years of marriage. I have had a buy to let with my first husband for 11 years. which we are selling. will my second be able to make a claim on the profits from the sale. he has never had any connection to the buy to let. thank you
How long have you actually lived together and are any children involved?
What is the equity in the property - and what other assets and debts are there - and what income do they each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have lived together for 7 yrs, all our children are in their 20's. my share of the equity is approx 27,000 for myself and the same for my first husband, we have a house which we have lived in for the 7 yrs. it is in joint names and has a mortgage of £86.000. but valued at £399.000 which we are going to split 50-50. when sold.we have no debts. other than a credit card in my previous name of £3.500. the flat has no income at the moment as it has been sold subject to contact and should complete next week. we have no other assets, except for our private pensions mine is £44.000 which my first husband set up for me. and my second husbands pension valued approx 35.000 kind regads Angela

Hi Angela
Since yours is a shorter relationship, there are ample other assets and this Buy to Let property was always held separately then it is highly unlikely that the family court will award your husband a share of that profit if your husband tried to make a claim.
There can of course be no certainty - but the odds are heavily in your favour
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply. If we go to court are you able to act for me.

Angela

I am afraid that we are only allowed limited contact outside of the question and answer forum - but I am certainly happy to support you as best I can!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much

You are most welcome