Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

My Daughter moved into a property With her boyfriend of 3 years,

My Daughter moved into a property With her boyfriend of 3 years, he owned the property We gave them a lump sum of £12k which was half of the deposit he had put down on the property, they used this to make over the house. They have now split up and he refuses to speak to her and we would like our money back, My Husband went to see him and he said that he would pay money back but will not answer calls or texts. He is in the process of selling 2 other properties he owns so should have the money to pay us back but how do we proceed? My Daughter only lived in the property for 4 months
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You’re going to have to get formal here.
Basically, if there was no written agreement and it is only the ex-partner who is on the registered title for the property then unless he agrees to settle with you would be looking at litigating to claim an interest under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act.
This is a very specialised area of law and the legal fees are very expensive and there is no legal aid to fund the fees.
Basically, if you have invested this money and it was anticipated that you would receive some form of return from it then you have the basis of a claim under the Act, but in order to claim you will have to instruct a solicitor to prepare the application. The solicitor would write to him in the first instance warning of a potential claim in the hope that he will settle or either possibly enter mediation
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom