Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Divorce in Seychelles

Customer Question

Dear Madam/Sir, We got married in Seychelles in the past. The act is not legalized in Europe, where we are from. We have decided for a divorce and I am wondering what is the best and simplest way (cost effective as well) for us ?

How does it work ? Do we have to go to the court ? Can it be done remotely ? Do we have to be present both ? How much it would be ? How long does it take ? 

Do we need the divorce in Seychelles in fact ? 

Thank you for your advice. Petra

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

Thanks so much for searching. as it is important and also quite urgent to get the proper answer,

I trust you and gladly wait for the right person to answer as soon as it is possible.

Kind regards,

Petra

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience: Moderator
Which country do you come from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thank you for helping me.

I come from Slovakia, my husband is Polish.

We got married in Seychelles, and as I currently reside in Dubai, marriage was legalized only in UAE, not in EU though.

Where does your spouse currently live?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Clare,

He (his parents) is living in Germany since childhood, but he is sort of without residency. still migrating all over the world, freelance. he kept his polish citizenship though.

The simplest way forward would be for you to Register your marriage is Slovakia and then issue divorce proceedings there.
Alternatively since your ex lives in Germany then you can issue divorce proceedings there
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Clare, most important for us was the fact that we do not want it to be legal in EU at all thats why we got mrried in SEZ (also we d not have divorce by agreement there). my question was meant to be about divorce in seychelles and the simplest way how to proceed there, how does it work etc. afterwards i would legalize it in UAE and in Europe we still stay "single", if this is ever possible.

Thank you for your kind answer, which will help a lot.

Petra

In fact the marriage is legal in Germany
It is actually legal in Slovakia and Poland but i snot recognised there until it is Registered.
There is no process of registration in Germany (or the Uk) and you can obtain a divorce there is you wish
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Clare, is there please someone who can answer my questions stated in the beginning of the conversation? What is the (best) procedure with regards ***** ***** in SEZ? we do not mind to fly over.

One of you will need to be habitually resident in the Seychelles for at least a year if you wish to divorce there
If that is possible then a divorce can go ahead on the basis of uncontested Unreasonable behaviour
I hope that this is of assistance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Clare,

what does it mean "habitually" resident? when we got married there, there was no problem for the ceremonieur to "make us" residents fr the purpose of marriage. is it possible also in the case of divorce?

If yes, my other questions were: How does it work ? Do we have to go to the court ? Can it be done remotely ? Do we have to be present both ? How much it would be ? How long does it take ?

Do they in fact have divorce by agreement? do we need a lawyer there?

It means that one of you has to have a home there and be there more often than not for at least a year.
I am afraid that there is no way around this and no there is no way that you can simply be made residents for this purpose.
If you wish to have a divorce in the Seychelles one of you will have to live there for a year
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Clare.

Just to complete all options, how about divorce in UAE ? what is the procedure here? would that require registration in home country or embassy anyway? (Was not necessary for marriage).

Which country out of all has an institute of divorce by agreement please?

I am afraid that you will have to make your own investigations as to divorce for foreigners in the uAE as I have no knowledge of the system.
One of you needs to have a connection with the country in which the divorce takes place - which makes Germany your easiest option
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Clare,

thanks for all your answers, even though i did not get the solution which would be acceptable for me now.
Main thing was that we were/are avoiding any official acts in EU in general, mainly in Germany. So it is not an easiest option for us as it is least wanted.
Therefore I was wondering about divorce in SEZ (original place of marriage) respectively in UAE (I am 6y resident here, for approx one month more only though).
If there is someone who can help me with answers with regards ***** ***** you don't have a knowledge of the system, I would be happy.

I am afraid that we have no experts in UAE law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Clare,

at least I know, that this is the way to go.

I hope all goes well for you