How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

my child is 19 months old my ex he father is demanding that

Customer Question

my child is 19 months old my ex he father is demanding that she stays over at our old home 2 nights each week and spends a day with her at the weekend I think this is excessive. He abuses alcohol,threw us out of the jointly owned home 3 times in 6 months and has quite a temper. He says I amusing her against him am I being unreasonable/
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has he ever cared for the child alone in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the odd occasion he has looked after her when I have visited a friend she has been in bed before I left, on one occasion he phoned me to go home as she woke up crying. I went for a walk with a friend one evening on my return I found he had been drinking. Since I've left his mum has bathed fed and delivered her to him to sleep at his house once. On another occasion he was supposed to pick her in the morning but phoned to say he was still over the drink driving limit so couldn't come for her.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Sorry - just for clarity - in fact he has never had sole care of the child for more than a few hours?
What contact has he been having since you separated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has had her for a couple of hours at a time even then he has gone to his parents with her. She has stayed overnight with him on two occasions his mum delivered her to him ready for bed, his mum picked her up from him at 7.30 am the next day to enable him to go to work.

Twice contact has been arranged and cancelled by him once because he couldn't drive and secondly because he had a bug. I have suggested an overnight stay on a Monday as his mum looks after her on a Tuesday while I work then either Sat or Sun from maybe 10am until 4pm he wants more access but I think she is too young and for the time being it's enough

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
If she stays on a Monday would his mother get her ready for bed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He would have to pick her up from me after his work around 6pm.I would give her her meal as it would be too late for her to eat by the time he would get her home. He could then have an hour with her before bedtime he would have to get her changed for bed. His mother would then pick her up at 7.30am to enable him to go to work.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Might it be better to offer tuesday night after she has spent the day with his mother - and make it his responsibility to return the child to you on the Wednesday

Related Family Law Questions