Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

my child is 19 months old my ex he father is demanding that

Customer Question

my child is 19 months old my ex he father is demanding that she stays over at our old home 2 nights each week and spends a day with her at the weekend I think this is excessive. He abuses alcohol,threw us out of the jointly owned home 3 times in 6 months and has quite a temper. He says I amusing her against him am I being unreasonable/
Has he ever cared for the child alone in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the odd occasion he has looked after her when I have visited a friend she has been in bed before I left, on one occasion he phoned me to go home as she woke up crying. I went for a walk with a friend one evening on my return I found he had been drinking. Since I've left his mum has bathed fed and delivered her to him to sleep at his house once. On another occasion he was supposed to pick her in the morning but phoned to say he was still over the drink driving limit so couldn't come for her.

Sorry - just for clarity - in fact he has never had sole care of the child for more than a few hours?
What contact has he been having since you separated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has had her for a couple of hours at a time even then he has gone to his parents with her. She has stayed overnight with him on two occasions his mum delivered her to him ready for bed, his mum picked her up from him at 7.30 am the next day to enable him to go to work.

Twice contact has been arranged and cancelled by him once because he couldn't drive and secondly because he had a bug. I have suggested an overnight stay on a Monday as his mum looks after her on a Tuesday while I work then either Sat or Sun from maybe 10am until 4pm he wants more access but I think she is too young and for the time being it's enough

If she stays on a Monday would his mother get her ready for bed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He would have to pick her up from me after his work around 6pm.I would give her her meal as it would be too late for her to eat by the time he would get her home. He could then have an hour with her before bedtime he would have to get her changed for bed. His mother would then pick her up at 7.30am to enable him to go to work.

Might it be better to offer tuesday night after she has spent the day with his mother - and make it his responsibility to return the child to you on the Wednesday