How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

How can I get my ex wife to pay maintenance she owes?

Customer Question

How can I get my ex wife to pay maintenance she owes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a Court Order for maintenance?
How old is the child/are the children now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son is now 26

His mother did the offski when he was 4 years old and left our son with her parents.

There was a court order for maintenance against me and I paid her and her mother until my son came to live with me when he was 10/11.

I then tried through the CSA to get maintenance for my son and was told that there was nothing they or I could do because she had gone to Spain.

So we never received a penny up until he started full time employment at 18.

His mother has now reappeared in the UK and I would like the money she owes to be paid??

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Did you apply for a court order for maintenance when the CSA would not help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, was told by the CSA because my ex had moved to Spain there was nothing I could do and they were closing the case?
If I'd known I could have gone to the courts I would have done that myself and not bothered with the CSA.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Then very sadly there is no action that you can now take.
The CSA could not help once she had gone to Spain - but should have told you that you could make an application to the court which could have been enforced in Spain.
However since your son is over 18 there is nothing that can now be done
I am sorry to give such bad and unfair news.
Please ask if you need further details

Related Family Law Questions