How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11142
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I've found out after 24 years that the child I believed to

Resolved Question:

I've found out after 24 years that the child I believed to be my boy was probably fathered by a friend all these years ago. my ex wife ended our marriage 14 years ago and I brought up the child alone .... my ex and the guy are relatively rich can I get compensation? My ex and me live in Scotland the guy lives in England
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Do you believe that your wife know that you weren't the father?
Have you had a DNA test done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No DNA tests but blood group suggests I'm not the dad and a growing collection of circumstantial evidence .... I'm now finding out she had a number of extra-marital relationships while we were married .... so answering your first question yes I'm sure she does know that I'm not the father and decided to lie.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If that is the case and you can prove it on a balance of probabilities, then you would have a right of action in damages against your ex wife.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What sort of damages do recon .... both parties are worth about a million including their property. I'm comfortably retired but would like to hit hard :) would this involve a court case?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You will have to quantify the claim. The reasonably estimated costs you have incurred in relation to the "child".
Your solicitor would intimate a claim by letter in the first instance and then any court action would follow if no agreed settlement could be reached.
JGM and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions