Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

what happens when your spouse passes away and you have a joint

what happens when your spouse passes away and you have a joint account
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Joint bank accounts pass under the law of survivorship. This means that the balance of the account will go to the remaining joint owner, all they have to do is produce a certified Death Certificate to the bank showing the person has deceased. The bank will then change the account from the names of you both to the name of the surviving spouse only, so that it is then effectively only a sole account in the name of the surviving spouse.
This is the case even if the deceased had a Will which states that something else should happen with the bank account.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much it has answered my question as i have heard such a lot what banks do when some one passes away.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.
Tom