13262538

my wife was previously married in an overseas ceremony. Is

Customer Question

my wife was previously married in an overseas ceremony. Is there any way of finding out if this was legally recognised in the UK and if so, if she ever got divorced?
In which country did she get married?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barbados
What makes you think that it was NOT legal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fact that there was no mention of it during the 'bands' or decree absolute produced when I married her. I am concerned that if she was legally married in Barbados, she is now committing bigamy. Alternatively, she married in Barbados and the paperwork was not handed in in the UK to formalise the marriage?
What do you know about the marriage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i know that it happened in Barbados. His first name was Guy(surname possibly Prince) and her name is ***** *****. Without sounding rude, I just want to know if there is anyway of finding out if the marriage was certified on return to the uk, in which case she may now be commiting bigamy or if it was never certified on their return to the UK.
There is no process of Certification on return to the UK
If the marriage is legal in Barbados it is legal here and no further action has to be taken to make it so.
If there was no divorce then your marriage is not valid.
You can check to see if there has been a Decree Absolute in the Uk using the form here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/d440-eng.pdf
Please ask if you need further details