13262538

I've finally received some of my ex's financial information.

I've finally received some of my ex's financial information. His tax return forms do not disclose some of his income. I know this because I took copies of accounts for the consultancy work he has done before he left our house. It's not for major sums but it might be indicative that he has hidden other information. Should I mention this to my solicitor or would it be inadmissible because I took copies without him knowing?
Where were the papers when you copied them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in our study
In a drawer or open and easily viewable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they were quite visible piles of unfiled paperwork. After he left I just photocopied everything in the pile. He always left me to do the family finances.
What was the nature of the paperwork which shows this undisclosed amount?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They were payment receipts indicating the amount and what the work was for.
Did you actually help with any of the record keeping
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did all the financial stuff and accounts for our family life, insurance, paid the bills, etc etc. I sometimes helped him put together statements, receipts etc for his tax returns.
Another thing I'd like to ask: he has formerly denied but now admitted the existence of a university account. This is an expense account paying funds into his personal account? It's a good place to hide consultancy money. Can we ask for details of this again? The University accounts dept will I'm sure be able to supply them.
The fact that the papers were left available in a shared room and that you did routinely help him with paperwork is very important and you must emphasise those two points to your solicitor when you tell her about the information.
Your solicitor may well be reluctant to use the details because of the case reported here
http://www.familylawweek.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed64343
but I believe that the two facts I have stressed above means that the information is usable
Please ask if you need further details