Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Hi I am currently going through a messy divorce. Background

Customer Question

I am currently going through a messy divorce. Background is that we were married for 9 years and separated in May 2014 in the background of domestic violence both physical and emotional. He left several times but I took him back. He has mental health issues and is diagnosed with bi-polar since 1994 and alcohol misuse. At the time we met he was working but has not worked for last 5 years and not contributed to the finances since then.
I offered to sort finances by talking to his family but this did not happen as he changed his mind I set up 7 mediation sessions he attended initial assessment and 1 other session but talked about monies spent in 2009. We have had the FDR and judge has ordered a final hearing for 3 days next year. Date to be arranged. He did not put his proposal through for FDR and found out on the day he wants a 40/60 in his favour, pension sharing order as I have a 19 year NHS pension, and maintenance. The main things to sort out is property worth £180,000, pension, maintenance??
I have suffered with stress throughout the years and have had time off sick and currently working 30 hours per week due to go down to 3 days.
1. I feel that a 3 day hearing is disproportionate to the assets in question and not sure if I can do anything about it.
2. Lack of guidance from my solicitor as to likely outcome and how to proceed. She has suggested we meet with a barrister to try and sort things out to avoid costs mounting. I am not against this but historically he has not responded to letters, emails etc and not sure he will do this now.
I am not sure why she has chosen the barrister as she has no mental health/domestic violence background.
3. Can you tell me how to search for a relevant barrister.
4. Can you give some advise re likely hood of paying maintenance
I have sent an email telling my solicitor that I am unhappy how she is dealing with the case but have not received a reply. I also asked her to ring me or email 3 weeks ago and not heard anything.
I welcome any suggestions.
Asmita
How long did you live together?
Where did the purchase funds come from?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lived together for 9 years.
I work 30 hours a week he is not working and has not done for last 5 years.
Funds were from my income
is your ex represented?
How long have you been paying into your pension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes ex is represented.
I have an nhs pension of 18 years. He has one that's worth a lot less than mine.
What were the issues identified at the FDR (I am also having problems with the 3 day listing)
How is he housed at the moment?