13262538

Hello,I bought a house with my girlfriend over a year ago.She

Customer Question

I bought a house with my girlfriend over a year ago.
She put in £513,500 equity to buy the property and we took out a £200,000 repayment mortgage which we spent to do up the property.
She only gave me a 0.5% interest in the house.
I paid the mortgage and all bills whilst we lived there and paid off £11,000 of the mortgage.
We have now split up and selling for £815,000, so a £100,000 net profit.
She wants to keep all the money!
Am I owed anything above the 0.5% of my ownership stake?
Charles Pease
Why did you agree to this percentage division?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Claire,
I agreed to this percentage division because I was going through a divorce at the time and my now ex-girlfriend was concerned that my now ex-wife might come after us and particularly her equity in the house.
Charles
Did you ever discuss the fact that you were paying the mortgage in full and whether the agreement needed changing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we did discuss this fact and that the agreement would need changing but I imagine that she would contest this fact now!

We would not have made the £100,000 profit on the house without the £200,000 improvements as a result of the mortgage that I raised on my salary alone (as she has no income).

Even if I got out what I paid in i.e. £11,000 in capital payments that would be better than nothing.

Thanks,

Charles

Was anyone else aware of the discussion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Clare,

I discussed the fact that I had a £200,000 mortgage but only 0.5% of the house ownership with my previous boss/company chairman. He was appalled and told me I should change this, when I started discussions with her...she then kicked me out of the house with my son. My family (mother, sisters) are also aware of the circumstances as are her parents.

Charles

That suggests that there was never any acceptance by your ex that you might be entitled to a larger share - would that be a fair comment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,
No, she always maintained that I would be entitled to a greater share once I sorted my divorce / ex- wife out, which I now have.
Charles
This is a difficult area.
the fact that there has already been a Declaration as to shares makes it more difficult to challenge BUT the specific circumstances of your case makes it possible that you could make a successful application under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of trustees Act (Tolata)
You can read more here
http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media/388153/cohabitation.pdf
http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media/2347003/land-disputes-a-guide-to-procedure.pdf
The starting point is to try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to try and afford the costs of a court battle!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much Clare

Kind Regards,

Charles

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well