13262538

my daughter keeps on denying us access to our grandchildren

Customer Question

my daughter keeps on denying us access to our grandchildren when ever it suits her for no apparent reason.I am concerned because my daughter seems to be suffering from parnoia so she is miscontruing anything I say and do. When she is going through one one her episodes she falls out with most of her family and these episodes can last for up to 18 months with only a few months inbetween when she is well. Do we as grandparents have any rights?
How old are the children and how often have you seen them in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my grandson is 6 years old and my granddaughter is 3 years old. They usually come to stay for the weekend at least once a month. I have a particularly strong bond with my grandson as he is on the autistic spectrum and he beomes very upset when he's leaving our house. My daughter will not admit that he is on the autisitc spectrum even though he has been statemented.

When did you last see the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I saw them four weeks ago for about an hour. A couple of days later she phoned me and started screaming down the phone that I had tried to have her kids taken off her by the health visitor. I have never even been in contact with her health visitor. I contacted her health visitor and asked her to contact my daughter to reassure my daughter that I have never even spoken to a health visitor, let alone tell her to take her kids off her. My daughter also said that four years ago when my husband was in hospital I had told her that he did not love her. Again that isn't true. I told her that he didn't like the way she was behaving. Once she is in this frame of mind it can take up to 18 months before she will speak to me again and during that time we don't get to see our grandchildren. Then out of the blue she will contact me and she will be fine for a few months before her mood changes again and becomes totally irrational and unpredictable. She doesn't allow her partner's parents to see her children even though they live 10 minutes away.She has also fallen out with her brother and his girlfriend and her family because she's been telling lies and has been trying to cause trouble between my son and myself and for no reason she deleted my son's girlfriend and her family off face book.

When was the last time contact broke down in this way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The last time contact was broken down in this way was 2.5 years ago and I didn't see my grandchildren for 18 months. Since having her children she has severed contact with me three times anything from 6 months - 18 months. The first time contact broke down I was very traumatised because she had managed to turn the whole family against me and a week later my husband had a mild heart attack. She had told my other two children such lies that they believed her but now they are older and wiser they know better than to believe her. When she's in one of her moods her language is terrible and she becomes paranoid and irrational.

Grand parents actually have no right to contact at all - they do not even have an automatic right to apply for contact with grandchildren.
However children has the right to continue to see important people in their lives - and the Court can grant permission for those people to make applications to the Court.
Given the age of the children and the regular visits there is an excellent chance that any application you make will be successful.
However the starting point is to try and negotiate with your daughter using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
If that fails (you must attend yourself no matter what) then you can apply to the courts for a Child Arrangement Order
You can read more here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/cb001-eng.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details