13262538

Good Morning. I got married Dec 30th 2011. Few months ago,

Customer Question

Good Morning. I got married Dec 30th 2011. Few months ago, my husband admitted that he doesn't want this. He's been lying to me for the entire relationship. He has other women. When I was 8 months pregnant, his ex contacted me from Trinidad stating that she and my husband are still intimate. When he came to the UK for our daughter's birth, he said that he wanted another chance because he wants his family. My husband lives in Trinidad. My daughter and I live in the UK. The plan was for my daughter and I to move to Trinidad this year to be with him. I gave up my job in the Royal Navy for this and after being contacted by another one of his girlfriends few months ago, i realised that he doesn't want to be with me. He wants part custody of our daughter and I want full custody because when my daughter and I last visited him in Trinidad, he took our daughter to visit one of his girlfriends without my knowing. I know this because the girl told me. Please can I get some advice on what to do.
Ingeli Slater-Goddard
How old is the child and how often do you intend to go to Trinidad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My daughter is almost 22 months old. I don't intend to go to Trinidad. I was only migrating there to be a family with my husband. I'm not a Trinidadian. I'm Vincentian by birth but I have my British Citizenship.

What time does your husband spend in the UK and what contact does he currently have with the child
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The last time he came to the UK was for my daughter's birth February 2013. He doesn't live in the UK. He has no contact at the moment because I'm scared and bothered about this situation and needed legal advice. We had plans and he left us for other women. I did him nothing wrong. He simple abandoned his family.

Ok that is fine - do try not to worry (easy to say hard to do I know)
Has he threatened to come to the UK and remove her from your care at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm trying my best not to worry. He hasn't threatened to take her away but I'm worried that it's probably his intention. Maybe that's not the case. He said that he is going to take legal action. I'm not comfortable leaving my daughter with him without supervision because he clearly cannot be trusted. Last time my daughter and I visited him, he took her to meet his girlfriend without me knowing. I'm really at a lost

Just for clarity - how much time has he spent with the child and will future contact be restricted to the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He came to the UK for her birth and spent a month with her. Then my daughter and I went to Trinidad for most of my maternity leave. We went there June 2013 then returned to the UK September 2013. Then we went back to Trinidad December 2013 and returned March 2014. So in all, he spent about 7 to 8 months with her. I'm not sure what you meant in your last question but he's allowed in the UK. I don't mind him corresponding with her via the internet (skype) or phone

My apologies
What I meant was do you ever intend to take the child back to Trinidad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't intend to take my daughter there to live. It's best if she grows up in the UK. The crime rate is too high in Trinidad. Lots of kidnappings and murders. Maybe when she is older, I will take her for a holiday.

In that case you need have no concerns
You and your ex both have Parental Responsibility for the child and there is nothing that you can do to change this.
There is no longer any concept of Custody in Uk family law
However this does not mean that you ex can remove the child from your care if he comes to the UK - and he certainly cannot remove from the country without your agreement or an order from the court.
However your daughter has a right to contact with her father and if he does come to the UK you should offer contact at a local contact centre for the period he is here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Clare. This information helped a whole lot.

Regards Ingeli

HI
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well