13262538

Is it not correct that there has to be a cut off point for

Customer Question

Is it not correct that there has to be a cut off point for not paying CSA, who decides the cut off point, it was pointed out when paying for one of my daughters until the age of 19 that if they are still in full time education and Family Allowance is being paid then you have to pay CSA, I then said but the Family Allowance stopped when she was 16, they then reduced the payments immediately? No refund no explanation, I then had a battle with them when my other two girls got to the age of 16 I kept telling them the Family Allowance has stopped, they said but they are in full time education, I said so is my eldest but when you found out that Family Allowance had stopped you reduced the payments so that I no longer had to pay for her, I had to continue paying until they left college, but I payed for my second daughter for to long and they refunded??? My son is now 17 nearly 18 earns his own money and is doing a course at college, I contacted CSA and explained about Family Allowance as I believe that when this stops being paid to the in residence parent then the CSA stops, some collect family allowance up 16-18 and in some cases if in education age 20 depending on circumstances... My question is do CSA use the payments of Family Allowance as a cut off point for CSA
I believe they do how else can they decide when to stop CSA as in the case of my eldest daughter, this is a very complexed area which could be a lot easier but people are struggling with the cut off point and who makes that decision. I believe I have paid the wrong amounts for years but I don't get any help and it is stressful
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The cut off point is the end of full time (more than 12 hours a week) Secondary education (not secondary school) or the "child's" 20th birthday which ever comes first
Secondary education covers everything below the courses on this list
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cbtmanual/CBTM07021.htm
a brief guide of what is included is
A levels or similar - eg Pre-U, International Baccalaureate
Scottish Highers
NVQ up to level 3
home education - if started before your child turned 16
Courses are not approved if paid for by an employer or ‘advanced’, eg a university degree, BTEC Higher National Certificate.
Note that the lower BTEC levels are included
Please ask if you need further details