How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34722
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi. My ex partner's mother applied for a loan in her name only

This answer was rated:

Hi. My ex partner's mother applied for a loan in her name only in Jan 2013, and gave the money to my ex partner and I to purchase a car.
We paid back £160 per month whilst together, and paid £80 pm each when we separated. I stopped paying my £80 this month due to other disputes. My question is, as there is no written agreement between myself and my ex partner's mother, are they able to pursue me for payment?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who kept the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When my partner and I separated, we sold the car and each bought a smaller car with the proceeds.

I am afraid that the fact that there was an Oral agreement is sufficient to entitle your ex's mother to issue proceedings - and this coupled with the history of payments and the fact that you received half of the proceeds of the sale of the car means that she is likely to be successful.
I am sorry - I know that this is not good news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you