13262538

Second marriage before annullment?

Customer Question

Hi, I got married to the woman I love last year. She was already married at that time, but we thought it had been annulled as he got her to sign paperwork for it and told her it was. We just found out it wasn't -does this mean our marriage is void? Would it still be void if we get the first marriage annulled? Is there anything else we can do as I have submitted a visa application for us and it's not possible for us to get married again anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!!

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that your marriage is indeed void - and will remain void even after the earlier marriage is annulled
Your only option is to remarry after the annulment has been completed.
I am sorry that this is not the news that you wanted - but I am afraid there is no way around this
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Many thanks for your answer. Does this mean we'll have to get an annulment for our current marriage to remarry again,or should we only do it for the first one?

Many thanks in advance again!

Yes technically you need to annul them both