13262538

hello, my husband and i have separated. he refused to move

Customer Question

hello, my husband and i have separated. he refused to move out of the marital home and to save my sanity i did. the problem is i am not on the mortgage or deeds, i have completed a hr1 form and moved out 8weeks ago.
i have since recieved divorce papers from him sighting unreasonable behaviour- one statements says " i left the property" if i sign the papres and return them i am worried tha by signing this i am agreeing to waive any rights to the property and it's marital assets/equity.
he is telling me we cannot reach a financial agreement without a decree nisi but i feel i am being bullied into signing these divorce papers which will suggest i voluntarily left the property and my rights to it.
can you help please
thank you
How long have you lived together?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We lived together for just less than 14 years married for 12. The property is worth £225,000 with £30,000 outstanding on the mortgage.

Just to check - are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, two aged 9 and 7.

Are the children with you?
How much would an alternative cheaper three bedroomed property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

access is split equally although he has intimated he would like custody. Three bed house would be about £150,000

Where are the children at the moment?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With my husband. I will have them today from 2-6. I take/pcik up from school and they stay here one night a week. I have no income/no job. I am not aware of my husbands salary at a guess £50,000

Where are you living at the moment - who owns the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Private rental paid six months up front to the end of March

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My husband has the house and deeds in his name only. he bought the house before we got together though i lived there only 8weeks less than him. my stake in the house is as a marital asset. i live not far away from the marital house

You have a clear claim on the matrimonial home with a starting point of a 50/50 share of the equity.
By not defending the divorce you do NOT waive any of your rights to the property.
Your biggest problem is the fact that the children have remained with your ex and on that basis there is little chance of your receiving more than half of the equity - however since he has a good salary he should be able to raise sufficient funds so that you will not have to wait for the money.
You may wish to look at shared equity schemes so that you can rehouse yourself
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details