13262538

My husband petitioned me for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable

My husband petitioned me for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour which I accepted although not the specifics. We are now trying to resolve a financial settlement. Just before he declared my exh wanted to separate I received an inheritance of 100k. Unknown to me he had been having an affair for at least a year beforehand. I now believe he hung on in our marriage until my inheritance came through - very likely because he thought he would benefit from it. We are going to FDR in a few weeks - instigated by me - because he has been very reluctant to disclose his finances and I just want to get things over with so I can move on. Is the fact that he concealed his affair until the inheritance came through relevant in the FDR? We are employing a barrister to argue the case for more than a 50 per cent split of the assets and I'd like to know if it's worth suggesting he pursues this line of argument.
Did you keep the Inheritance in a separate account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes in my own account
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes in my own account. But some of it was spent on a £25k extension to our house which we'd booked in a few months prior to that, The builders arrived the day my exh left so there was no going back. My husband is seeking a 50:50 split on the house. Obviously I would have spent (or not spent) the inheritance diffferently if I'd known he was planning his exit!
How much has the extension increased the value of the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Probably by about £20k

You are certainly entitled to argue that the Inheritance that is still in your account should be excluded from the settlement.
The money spent on the alterations is less clear cut BUT there is still a reasonable chance of arguing that credit should be given for the money spent
Please ask if you need further details