13262538

we have been told that we were overpaid from my mothers estate

Customer Question

we have been told that we were overpaid from my mothers estate when she died, some 3 and a 1/2 years ago. they say that they did an audit and it was found then. Are we liable to pay back the overpayment?
Who have you heard from and how is the overpayment meant to have happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have heard from the company who handled the probate and they have called my brother and said that when they did an audit on my mum's payout they realised that they had overpaid us by just over £1000. He said that she had been tracking him down for the last year or so. My mum died on March 01st 2011 and the final estate was settled and paid out to the four children in January 2012.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The company we used to manage the estate were recommended by my mums bank Barclays
Have any or all of your moved house in that period and have they given any explanation of how the overpayment arose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my brother moved house and he is the lead for mums will. The only explanation is that it's an overpayment which was found during an audit.
Do you still have a copy of the Estate Accounts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My brother does
Was he the Executor?
Has he checked the account to see if there are any obvious errors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he was the executor and he has the final accounts but hopes to get round to looking at them hopefully this weekend
May I ask - were you one of the Residuary Beneficiaries - did you receive a share of what was left - or did you get a specific gift?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I was a residuary beneficiaries I had a share
Did your brother instruct the firm not to send you copies of the accounts?
(legally you should have had them)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dont know but he has them as he was the executor of the will
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello please advise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, would you kindly advise if you can help by giving advise or not please?
My apologies for the delay.
If there has indeed been a genuine mistake the firm COULD consider making an application to the court to recover the overpayment
However as a "Residuary Beneficiary" you should have received a copy of the Estate Accounts setting out what assets and debts there were in the Estate so that you can ensure that you have received your proper entitlement.
Since the firm failed to provide you with this there was no way for you to identify any problems and accordingly they will struggle to claim that you should have been aware of the mistake and that the funds should be repaid.
Your brother may well be in a different position
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That doesn't answer the question which is are we liable to pay back the overpayment?
My apologies I should have made it clearer.
IF there has been a genuine overpayment then yes it can be reclaimed and you may well be liable to repay it HOWEVER this will depend on whether or not you could and should have been aware of the over payment - which clearly you could not