UKfamsol
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
40487810

Hello there I met with a barrister at my solicitor's yesterday

Hello there
I met with a barrister at my solicitor's yesterday in advance of the FDR in the new year. He asked me some questions which now I've gien it more thought I want to expand on. Can I send him an email direct or do I have to go through my solicitor?
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

As the barrister is instructed by the solicitor, rather than you - whereas the solicitor is instructed by you, my advice is that you should email your solicitor with your expanded answers, and ask your solicitor to forward your email to your barrister. That's the correct etiquette - if you were to email the barrister direct he/she would only pass your email back to your solicitor.

If it was urgent eg the hearing was tomorrow - instead of in January - you could perhaps send your email to both the solicitor and barrister simultaneously - but there would never be any grounds for not including your solicitor, as he/she is the person that you are instructing directly.

I hope that helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you!Smile

Expert:  UKfamsol replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome!

best wishes...