13262538

Hi, Me and my ex have been separated for 18 months, in this

Customer Question

Me and my ex have been separated for 18 months, in this time I have had shared custody of my 2 girls. This is not as simple as a standard 3 or 4 days a week, I work a strange shift pattern which my ex does work around, but if I don't have them overnight I will either take them to school or collect them. This works for both of us as she can't take them to school or collect them when she's at work (she works 3 days a week). Since we've been separated I've paid her £300 per month, although using the the government calculator I should only pay £234. My ex is now asking me for more money to pay for new school shoes and winter coats and also has stopped the girls taking any clothes to my house, expecting me to buy clothes for use at mine only.
What are my rights, can I pay her only the £234 and should this money be expected to be used to buy clothes and school uniforms?
Thank you for any help and advice you can give me.
Nick
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In general terms how many nights a month do the children spend with you - and what is your gross income?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare,

If averaged out, I would say I have the girls 3 nights a week. My gross income is £590 a month.

Thank you ,

Nick

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is that a month?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, £590 gross per month

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any income from other sources?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, no other sources of income

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
The Child maintenance you quoted would refer to a Gross income of at least £1462 a month?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clare,

Sorry, I've just looked back and on the CSA calculator I used the figure of £590 gross per week.

To clarify, I earn £2,557 per month

Sorry,

Nick

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Well that makes more sense!
May I ask if you were married to each other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know, it's late!

Yes, we were married. Still are, waiting for the 2 years of separation, which will be in May.

Nick

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much does your ex earn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning,

My ex earns around £13,000. My eldest daughter is registered disabled and my ex also collects her disability payment of £410 every 4 weeks

Nick

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are only expected to pay the CMS assessment - which is indeed meant to cover shoes and coats.
Your ex is entitled to say that you should buy the clothes that are used at yours - but if she does that then really she must accept that you too will stick to the letter of the financial requirement!
It may be better however to try and discuss matters with her using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
to try and ensure that the working relationship that you have clearly established does not fail on this issue
Please ask if you need further details