Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

are parents - as a matter of law (not morals) - actually obliged

are parents - as a matter of law (not morals) - actually obliged to pay the university studies of children older than 18?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes they are and if a parent refuses to do so the court has the power to extend child maintenance to the end of the child’s university degree or vocational training course.
The court will consider each case individually and place particular focus on the child’s financial needs, the parents’ ability to pay and the manner in which the child is expected to be educated or trained. Irrespective of the availability of student loans, if a child has a genuine need for financial assistance and the parent has the means to pay, the court may order an extension to child maintenance.
In some cases, children can apply to the court themselves for an order that a parent pays them directly for the costs of putting themselves through university or other course.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.