13262538

Situation is friend married since 1992, but husband has been

Situation is friend married since 1992, but husband has been mentally controlling and abusive for several years now. Joint mortgage, but he has new financial plan to pay more into his pension and retire early leaving wife to bear the mortgage from her savings. They have eldest child at uni and two others in full time ed. Surely my friend needs to get legal advice to protect her financial / mortgage position and child support so then no one would care if he left. What can she do to make him fulfil his mortgage obligations please? Tks
Is your friend willing to end her marriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a question of finding the courage to bite the bullet, take the plunge and follow that route. She must realise there is no other option now as life so miserable for her and kids, but always would have said couldn't afford to split, husband to live elsewhere because then he'd say he couldn't pay the necessary support. He has a reasonably good job as Deputy Head in a state secondary school and she is also a teacher. Thanks for your help.
Yes it is a very big step to take and it can be a difficult decision.
Whilst they are still together there is little that your friend can do to force her husband to make a full contribution.
However in the event of a divorce she will have a claim on his pension -as well as a claim for child maintenance - and is likely to be able to remain in the house until the youngest child is 18.
Sadly all you can do is support her until she is ready to make the move.
Please ask if you need further details