13262538

My daughter is 12 and has lived with me since her father and

Customer Question

My daughter is 12 and has lived with me since her father and I split up 6 years ago. She has been seeing her dad regularly but has been making more and more excuses not to go. She is scared of him, not physically but he is not a nice man. She has made the decision this week she doesn't want any further contact with him. Is there anything he can do? Is it best if I get sole custody?
Which part of the Uk are you in and is your daughter willing to tell her father herself that she does not wish to see him?
What exactly has led to this decision
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are in Newcastle upon Tyne. I don't think she would face him she is terrified. We have agreed to a meeting at lunch time today (myself, my elder daughter from another relationship, and my new partner. Along with Mark and his wifes father) it was supposed to e an informal chat but he seems to be going along the route of documenting everything. We have already said if Zara wants to change her mind at any stage and wants to contact him or see him again then it's her decision. She doesn't even want to send a christmas card. he is very controlling, and she is scared of him, he is always having a go at Zara's step brother and has even said its like bullying. She has been making more and more excuses not to go even to the stage she is feeling physically ill the days she is supposed to see him

The other option that is available to you is to arrange to discuss the matter with your ex using family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
and a mediator trained to work with young people so that your daughters wishes can be brought to the discussion without her having to speak to her father directly.
This will be useful if your ex does then try to make an application to the court for a Child Arrangement Order stating that she should spend time with him.
There is no longer any concept of Custody - and the child already resides with you so there is no other order necessary.
Please ask if you need further details