Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My ex husband and I separated in 1997 and divorced in 1998.

Customer Question

My ex husband and I separated in 1997 and divorced in 1998. At the time, our house was undergoing extensive alterations, mostly done by my ex husband, who was extremely slow in completing them (one of the reasons we divorced) Up until 18 months ago we were speaking occasionally and he mentioned that the renovations were still ongoing and the house was still the mess it was in when I left! I was not able to take all my belongings as he had stored them in a basement area of the house not accessible to me. When me met for a drink 18 months ago he mentioned that he had 'found' some of my fathers medals etc and I asked if I could have them. He agreed to another meeting when he would hand them over. The meeting 18 months ago was at his request when he wanted to cash in a savings policy which was in joint names and needed my signature. The policy value was just over £8000 but he didn't know that I knew this and offered me £2000 which I accepted as I felt it was more important that we remained cordial. I have 2 children who were 9 and 10 when I left and I think he has seen them maybe 6 times in the 17 years - mainly because my son in particular was physically abused by him unknown to me and harbours resentment towards him. He has not replied to my many e mails etc to arrange to meet. Also in the house was a piano which was willed to me by an aunt. It has a value of around £10,000 - I agreed that he would keep it for me as it weighs a quarter of a ton and I had nowhere to put it. He started a relationship with a lady who had a young son and I agreed that he could use it if the boy wanted to play. I would now like this back too as my son is a pianist and wants the family heirloom with him. I have asked my ex but he won't reply. Do I have any chance of getting my belongings back please?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What financial agreement or Order (if any) was made at the time of the divorce?
Who owned the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare

No financial agreement was formally made. The house was jointly owned - he gave me a lump sum representing half the then equity. Child support was agreed at £400 per month in total but he paid this in a lump sum too as he didn't want to have the 'burdon' of paying for years,

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was the house transferred into his sole name at that time?
Have you remarried at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the house was transferred into his sole name. I have not remarried, nor am I in a relationship.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a list of your belongings that you want from the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I only want the piano and my dads medals - there are no doubt other things belonging to me but after this length of time I really can't remember.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you made a formal written request for the return of these items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes several. I e mailed him a number of times. In case he had changed his e mail address I also contacted him via social media since I know he looks at that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Clare asked me a number of questions to which I replied but it has now been 24 hours since I last heard from her.