13262538

..i am living separated but under the same roof as my husband..

Customer Question

hi ..i am living separated but under the same roof as my husband.. our house is on the market .. i have worked throughout our marriage and financially contributed by buying the groceries, all the children's needs, paid for holidays, furniture, appliances etc. My husband has always paid the mortgage and household bills. when the children left home my expenses were greatly reduced so i reduced my days of work to 3 per week. I am 54 years old. my husband is now harassing me for cash - saying its not fair that I'm living at home rent free. i'm desperate to leave but now i only work 3 days a week, i know i would not be able to afford rent long term. i think he would delay the sale if i were to move out as he currently works from home and has a very comfortable set up here. am i obliged to pay my own council tax and to contribute to the electricity bill? i said he could take off what i owe him from the final split but he's insisting he wants cash now…he has incurred no extra expenses since our split last April...
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What income do you each have and what are you each currently paying for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi the house is worth approx £900.000. we have a £400.000 mortgage on it. my income is approx £12.000 and his is approx £24.000 . he's paying all the bills and i'm buying groceries and household requirements such as soap powder, loo roll etc. which amounts to at least £100 per week. i'm keeping receipts. thank you. Jane

Are you sure about his income?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I'm guessing…the main question is - am i obliged to hand over cash to him now that we are separated under the same roof or does the original financial arrangement we had still stand? thank you Clare.

Your ex cannot force you to pay him anything at all - and if he threatens you you should call the police.
If there is some question as to what the eventual financial split should be then you should offer to discuss it with your ex using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
Please do not him bully you
Please ask if you need further details