13262538

My son has lived together with his fiance a year,

My son has lived together with his fiance for around a year, they have been a couple for around 3. She is buying an old property from her father, which belonged to her grandfather. The house was uninhabitable, so they did the place up together. She would never discuss my son being on the loan. The relationship has now broken down and she has given my son a letter stating that he has to be out in 1 week and is giving him a cheque for £1000. My son is devastated. He left a great job in Oxon to move up to Cheshire and has ploughed all that he has into her house. Do you think that she is being reasonable in her demands or can my son demand more from her. I live in Australia, so as you can imagine, i am distraught with this and worry that he may do something foolish.
How much has he spent on the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That i am not sure of. I know that he gives her £300 a month for the mortgage (not really a mortgage because she is paying the money directly to her father) and contributes to the household bills apart from council tax as he has some debts which he is paying off. His last response to me was that he has put all that he has into the home including the decoration etc and now he has nothing.

Do you know if he has paid for or actually worked on any structural alterations or improvements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No not to my knowledge the structural work was done by the experts. He just lived there during the latter stages and purchased paint and spent time painting getting it habitable. It is very hard to extract info from him at the moment due to his frame of mind and due to the distance between us. I just wanted to know if the week to leave, and the £1000 were fair

Since your son is not an owner of the property - and is not married to his partner - your son has no right to remain in the property.
He is however entitled to "reasonable written notice " and a week is certainly not sufficient.
On that basis he could if he wished apply to the court for the right to remain in the property for a few more weeks while he finds somewhere else to live
If he has made a financial contribution to any structural repairs or alterations to the property then he may have a financial claim on it - but that is very much dependent on what he actually paid for.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details