Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I was married to my husband years, we are now separated

Customer Question

I was married to my husband for 10 years, we are now separated and at decree nisi stage of a divorce. He moved out the family home 8 months ago. He contributes nothing at all towards the mortgage or running costs of the home. We have a 10 year old daughter together, and I have another 20 year old daughter from a previous relationship. My eldest daughter is studying full time therefore still lives at home.
The problem I have is that my ex has a key to the house and frequently lets himself in, without knocking, if I lock the door, he creates havoc. If I am not in the house, he will go into my bedroom and through all my paperwork. I am aware of this as my eldest daughter has been home, and witnessed this.
He can be extremely abusive and threatening and it is upsetting myself, and my daughters. Can I legally change the locks to regain some privacy and avoid these confrontations?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How far have the financial negotiations reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare, thanks for responding. The house is worth £450,000 and we have a mortgage of £189,000. We have yet to come to a financial settlement.
Have you started on mediation?
Are there any other assets?
has he actually made threats against you or the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were classed as 'unsuitable' for mediation as it broke down and no agreement can be made. We have no other assets. Yesterday he informed me he will be harassing me and coming to the house every day until I agree to give him £120,000. I was at work, and my eldest daughter locked herself in her room as he has raised his fist to her before as she is intimidated by him.
When was the fist raising incident?