13262538

I divorced three years ago. The property my wife and I owned

I divorced three years ago. The property my wife and I owned was transferred into her name, with me having a thirty % interest payable on death or sale of the property. She has since added an extention and her solicitor is maintaining that the 30% relates to only the original building. Is this correct? My ex is paying the mortgage, but on an interest only basis.
How was the extension funded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the extention was funded from a loan from Cornwall County Council, secured against the property, which she is repaying. In the meanwhile, she is not paying off any of the mortgage.

The terms of the divorce were a simple 30% of the net value of the house at sale, minus any loans secured on it.

May I ask why she needed the extension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She fosters as an income, and wanted the extra space to extend that income to mother and baby.

The planning permission, plans etc. were all in place for this long before we divorced. I dug and laid the foundations to maintain the permission after we split, as the time limit was approaching ( some three years ago).

I have a business loan secured on the property, which I am paying down.

Was this not discussed at the time the Order was made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it was given as a straight percentage of net proceeds, with no further conditions as to paying down the loans or maintaining the property in a given condition.

This demand from her solicitor seems rather unfair to me, given that she is paying for an extention which they want to exclude from the settlement, and not paying any capital off the mortgage which lessens my share eventually. In essence she is using my share of the marital assets for free.

When was the mortgage changed to Interest only?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Soon after the decree absolute, when I stopped paying half of the full mortgage.

I had also just re-plumbed the house, complete with new boiler and paid for a new wood burner in the lounge (whilst the divorce was in progress).

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Before or after the Order was made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the work before the Order was made, but the mortgage went to interest only afterwards, when she had to pay it by herself.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
is she aiming to repay you immediately - is that why this issue has arisen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not that I am aware. Her solicitor is a bit of a 'try it on' merchant - she tried several angles during the settlement negotiations that once challenged disappeared rapidly. She sent an agreement with the letter this time for me to sign immediately, to the effect that the extension was out of the calculations. Which makes me think that this is another try to gain an advantage.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Interesting - did this come out of the blue as it were?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did, I was under the assumption that we were all finished with this.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I think you are correct - this is a but of bullying to try and make you give way.
Write a clear letter pointing out that you had in fact laid the foundations for the extension; that the loan is being repaid at the cost of the capital repayments on the mortgage, and that the Order makes no provision for any such deduction, and that on that basis no you will not be signing the letter - which you are returning to her.
The fact that she switched the mortgage is your strongest point in this argument
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** my take on the matter, I just wanted to run it past someone before I replied.

Again, thank you - most helpful,

Yours,

Rod

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well