13262538

I am in the process of divorce and my ex is trying to claim

Customer Question

I am in the process of divorce and my ex is trying to claim half the house. We fostered a girl with special needs and although she becomes 18 next month she is still in education until 25. Can he still force me to sell the house

Thank you question.

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
How long have you lived together and how long has the child lived with you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have lived together years and married . Our foster daughter had been with us years

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have lived together years and married . Our foster daughter had been with us years.

The house is worth about £145,000 and there £100,000 left on mortgage, there are only a couple of things we bought together like to and sofa. He left the property 1 half years ago and has not paid any mortgage

How was the original purchase funded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We shared the deposit, but I do think he payed more as the navy gave him some

What income do you each have - and have you discussed the housing issue with the girl's Social worker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know he works and receives a navy pension, I only work part time and earn 500 a month due to my daughters disability, I spoke to them on Friday and said I may have to sell the house but nothing was really said. She has been statmented and will have to be in education until she is 25. The origiona plan was to buy him out and my dad was going to give him 20,000 but my dad had cancer and had to pay so now only had 10,000 left

how much so you receive in Foster Allowance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

169 a week

I am sorry but this young woman is not your ex's responsibility and yes he will be able to force a sale of the house so that he can have his share of the equity
Unless you can raise the funds to pay him his share of the equity AND get the mortgage company to release him from the mortgage then there is simply no option but property to be sold
I know that this is bad news - please ask if you need further details