How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34701
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my husband has moved out after an affair, we are both on the

This answer was rated:

my husband has moved out after an affair, we are both on the mortgage. We have an 8 year old son who is living in the house with me.
my husband pays all the utilities and mortgage as he is in full time employment I am self employed and work around our sons school hours, I pay , clothes etc.
What is he obliged to continue paying.
Please help

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there?
What is his actual income?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm having it valued tomorrow so can let you know. We paid £179,000 and it's an interest only mortgage.
He has a £15,000 loan and 2 credit card depts I will need to find out the amounts.
I have a £5500 credit card bill.
His income is £30,000 gross
Thank you

Best guess on the figures will do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Around £210,000 / £125,000

My apologies - what is your income?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

approx £7,500

His outgoings every month are £1092.49

He takes home £1962.42

Not sure if this is relevant

What he HAS to pay is Child maintenance - which is £300 a month at most.
He will also have to continue paying the debts in his sole name
There is also a potential claim on your part maintenance - which could be covered by him paying enough IN TOTAL to cover the mortgage payment - but is unlikely to be much more than that
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you