Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

i had a dna test done and found that my son is not mine.he

Customer Question

i had a dna test done and found that my son is not mine.he no longer wants anything to do with me.his mother and i were never married and havn't been together years. i do know who the biological father is but can not contact him although the mother has,to inform him.he does not want any involvement and his son does not want to know him either.the mother and i split up when he was 3 but i had him on weekends and holidays etc
i paid maintanance but then we agreed that i payed uniforms shoes coats and help with buying carpets beds etc which i did.he will be 18 next month and this has only come to light 16 months ago.i have provided birthdays christmas etc past 16 years.i would like to know if i would have a strong case to sue the mother.best regards ***** ***** butler.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question. I'm sorry to hear your situation which must be quite traumatic.
Did the mother know you weren't the father? If she did then you would have a case to sue her support you've given over the period, if it can be quantified and proved, which can often be the difficult bit in cases like this. You would also have to establish to the court that she acted fraudulently or in bad faith as a result of which you suffered financial loss.
If she genuinely thought you were the father, your case is unlikely to succeed.