13262538

I have a house with an ex in joint names and been trying

Customer Question

I have a house with an ex in joint names and been trying to get my name off the mortgage years. He lives in the house and wants to take it over, but he can't get a mortgage. I'm not entitled to anything on the house as there is a court judgement that it's his house because the agreement was he took it over, I signed papers to take name off and job done...but 6 yrs later I'm no wiser. I'm still liable....can I push to sell it as I want my name off Asap
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
,
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I'm ok to wait thank you

Thank you question.

What were the actual terms of the Court Order and when was it made?
Who issued the application and what was it for.
How much is the house worth now and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Outstanding mortgage about £58.000. House value around £90.000. I haven't got the order to hand, my solicitor has got it. The terms as I remember were that I sign some paperwork to relinquish me from the mortgage/house, he got a mortgage to take it over and my name came off. But he failed to secure a mortgage so I'm stuck on it. It was made about 5 years ago. Not sure who issued it. If this is too vague, I'll go to my solicitor and get the order.

Were you ever married?
Did you actually go to court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No never married and didn't go to court as we had an agreement before that

That is helpful.
Did your ex serve court papers on you prior to that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It must of been his side that ordered the court as we couldn't come to an agreement on settlement. In the end he offered to give my deposit back of £1000 plus £200 contribution towards solicitor costs. I signed relevant papers, he got the house. It never went to court but something was served in it that its in his 'trust'. Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He thought taking the mortgage over was a simple matter of removing my name off. He didn't think he had to take a new mortgage out (his solicitor advised him that!!) I was the main bread winner and had secured a mortgage to take the house over but he decided that wasn't going to happen and threw me out....

Ok
Are you sure there was actually an Order sealed by the court - not just the paperwork relating to an agreement made after proceedings have been threatened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not hundred percent. On top of the form has Rhyl county court on it. If I go to town I'll try and pick it up from solicitor.

Definitely a Court Order then!
If you can get a copy that would be good as you will be using that Court Order as the basis of the application to force the sale - and to seek compensation delay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Compo, sounds good! I'll try and get it today. What shall I do then, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hiya got the order, would I be able to email a copy? Thanks

I believe you can attach a copy - but I will also ask Customer services to assist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've emailed a copy to customer service attention. Thank you.

Thank you - I will respond when receive it

Safely received thank you
What efforts has he made to actually obtain your release from the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Naff all years! Got a letter last week saying hsbc won't give him a mortgage, which is who the original mortgage is with.

Who was the letter from - the bank or your ex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From his solicitor to mine.

Ok
Has your solicitor written back asking why the Transfer was refused and which other mortgage lenders he has approached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she hasn't written back and not mentioned any reply to him. It said on his letter he will keep trying (yeah right) mortgage. He knows he can't get one in his own name so is holding out as much as he can and that's why he's taken soooo long. I'm fed up now and need action! I live on a rented farm and will need to buy somewhere retirement when the time comes. (I'm 30)

How much does he earn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not a clue! He's self employed. I'm self employed and when I went the bank told me I needed to make 25k profit to take it over. Assuming he would be the same

At the time the Order was made what was your understanding about how long the process would take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Straight away! I Could of taken the mortgage over on my own at that time, I had it in place ready to go, but he decided he wanted the house, so after he threw me out I gave up and started my own business in the farm. He didn't know he had to prove his income. He thought it was just a matter of taking my name off.

Did he say that he could do it immediately?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I just assumed it was going to happen seeing he was pushing to take it over. He knew I could take it over at that time so I assumed he'd been to see the bank and they gave him the go ahead to take over. It was only after months/years of waiting I realised he didn't go to the bank, he just thought it was a matter of removing my name. The first time I heard in a letter he was refused was a couple of weeks ago. Nothing ever before this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
May 2008 I moved out and it's ongoing since then....

You need to take the matter back to court and seek the sale of the property
The Order does not technically allow - but it is clear that your ex has not used his best endeavours as he could have applied mortgage from a Secondary lender and has failed to do so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the house got sold I'm assuming he would get all equity? Could I try and get compo.

Have you actually been refused a mortgage because of this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes as they will be taking that mortgage into account

I understand that - but have you actually applied and been refused - and do you have that in writing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I havent unfortunately

Whilst you can try and claim compensation you will need to prove your loss - with the loss being your inability to obtain a mortgage
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd just be happy to get my name off to be honest but I could try a little sweetener soooo long! I don't think there is anything else to help with really. I will push to get it to court. Thank you very much. I will rate your service well.

Thank you and good luck