UKfamsol
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
40487810

My daughter is about to start divorce proceedings against her

My daughter is about to start divorce proceedings against her husband who has been abusing her emotionally time. She earns £27K as a nurse. He earns very little, which can be seen as he has had 9 jobs in the last 7 years. They have an outstanding debt of approximately £6000. They have a 19 month old daughter.
Will she be entitled to any financial assistance/legal aid?
Many thanks.
Tim Ashton
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 2 years ago.
and thanks question.
There is no longer any legal aid - ie the legal dissolution of the marriage.
The general rule is that there is also no legal aid to make a claim to court to resolve financial/property issues associated with the divorce or to deal with any dispute concerning children - but legal aid of these types of cases is still available if the abuse that your daughter has suffered from her husband is serious enough that within the last two years either she has obtained a non-molestation order against him or has spent a night in a refuge or her husband has a conviction or is on bail against her - but even then her application aid may still be means-tested.
Very few family solicitors still carry out legally-aided work - here's where to find a specialist family solicitor who does:-
http://www.resolution.org.uk/findamember/
When you've entered your daughter's postcode, you'll need to scroll down to see who does legal aid.
I hope this helps and I wish you & your daughter the best of luck.
Thanks and best wishes...