How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11551
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

,we live in England and my son's daughter who is 2years old

Resolved Question:

,we live in England and my son's daughter who is 2years old lives in Scotland,his ex girlfriend has stopped all contact last 9 months . We have just found out her address and wondered do we need to get a Scottish solicitors to request a mediation letter sent to her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question.
No, in Scotland mediation isn't a requirement of the law. You should engage a Scots solicitor to write to the mother seeking contact. If she refuses or doesn't reply your son can apply contact order at the local sheriff court. The court will assign a child welfare hearing within a matter of weeks.
Your son can get a solicitor in the area where his daughter lives by asking the Law Society of Scotland to recommend a family law solicitor there.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you